Skip to Main Content

Copyright for course packs

Broadcast material

Broadcast material

ERA Licence
The School has an  Educational Recording Agency - ERA  licence which  allows  recordings  to be made of television, radio and Internet broadcasts for educational purposes. The licence covers: BBC, TV, Channel 4, Freeview channels (including Open University programmes), on-demand services such as BBC iPlayer, All 4, ITV Player, Demand 5 and S4C (On Demand). 

It does not include pay-per-view or satellite channels. Additionally, third-party advertisements are not included within the ERA licence.

Under the terms of this licence you are permitted to show programmes in lectures, tutorials etc and create clips or extracts to embed in presentations or PowerPoints, as long as the content is used "as broadcast." I.e. You cannot edit or adapt the content in any way, e.g. add a different soundtrack or voiceover, use post-production effects or use the clips in creating a new video.


Recordings can be made available via a secure VLE (eg Canvas) for use by students off-campus
This only applies to students within the UK - it is not permitted to make ERA recordings available to distance learners outside the UK, or to students at overseas campuses.

Making a hardcopy recording
Recordings can be made on University premises, or at home, by teaching staff or their auxiliaries. Recordings made under the licence must be labelled on the case and the disc itself with the following:

  • Date when the recording was made
  • Name of the broadcaster
  • Programme title
  • The wording below:

'This recording is to be used only for educational and non-commercial purposes under the terms of the ERA Licence.'
Multiple copies can be made as long as all the terms of the licence are complied with. If you want to obtain a recording of a programme contact the ERA.

Keeping recordings
Recordings can be retained indefinitely. There are no record-keeping requirements at present.

What about recordings of School events made by the School?
The School owns the IPR in these and so this is unaffected by the ERA licence. Any old VHS copies of such events that were in the Library’s video collection have been transferred into the School Archive.

Films, videos, DVDs

Playing film clips

The playing of commercially produced DVDs and CDs is permitted within an educational establishment provided that the audience only includes University staff and students, and the programme is used for instructional purposes. This does not cover recreational or promotional activities, e.g. a general film club. The School has a PVSL (Public video screening licence) from Filmbank to cover student Film Club screenings.)


Copying film clips

In 2014 certain copyright exemptions were introduced to support greater usage of copyright materials for teaching and learning and the fair dealing exemption was applied to copyright works which were previously not covered – such as artistic works (including photographs), films and sound recordings. They also permit sharing of copies over secure distance learning networks.

  • A lecturer may copy from a film if this is for purposes of criticism and review or to illustrate a teaching point .
  • The fair dealing rule applies - copying is limited to what is required for the purpose and must not impact on the rights holder and is for non-commercial purposes.
  • The work must have previously been made available to the public and no more is copied than is necessary, for example to make the critical point in question.
  • The copy must be accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement wherever possible.


Be cautious when using Youtube as material may have been posted by third parties without the rights holders permission. So if you link to or embed YouTube clips make sure they have been posted there by the person or organisation to whom that material belongs.